Benefits of fibre optic transmission:
The use of optical fibre has a number of inherent advantages over conventional coaxial alternatives:
· Low loss - enabling very long path lengths with
minimal degradation of carrier-to-noise.
· Lightweight, highly flexible, small diameter
· Frequency response is independent of path
· Immunity to electrical interference - the signal is not corrupted by radiated interference.
· Non-conductive - provides electrical isolation.
· Lower cost compared to coaxial cable over long distances.